The SARPi Project
What you need to know about SARPi
Please take time to read this page.
How it all began...
Circa November 2011 - Two guys, Aal and Exaga, discussed a techie-news story about an ARM-based single-board computer, known as the "Raspberry Pi", and if the device was suitable for running Slackware ARM. The "Raspberry Pi" device was released to the public on 29 February 2012. By the end of the following month [April] it had taken the world by storm; fast becoming a phenomenon - but strangely seemed to lack any Slackware [ARM] support. This prompted more investigation. Two Raspberry Pi Model B devices were ordered from Farnell/element14. By the end of May 2012 there was now an apparent, and almost complete, lack of interest on the Internet for the Raspberry Pi running Slackware ARM. Something needed to be done about this because the Raspberry Pi was primarily designed as a Linux-based educational tool and the most suitable operating system on which to learn is Slackware [ARM] Linux! They waited patiently over May/June/July/August/September 2012 for the Raspberry Pis to be delivered. Estimated delays in delivery increased from 4 weeks up to +6 months! Such was the demand for the "Raspberry Pi" device.
Finally! In the first week of October 2012 the Raspberry Pis were finally delivered; the [newly updated] 512MB RAM versions. Work began on porting Slackware ARM onto the device. Consequently, the SARPi Project went live on Saturday 26 October 2012 and has been active for approx. 8 years to date.
Some SARPi facts, not FAQs! ;-)
What SARPi is ...
• SARPi is an acronym of "Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi". It's the name of this project; the website, the software, the guides and tutorial(s), the whole shebang!
• The SARPi Project's main purpose is to create and distribute installer images and packages in order to assist with, and facilitate, the installation of Slackware ARM on the Raspberry Pi device(s).
• The SARPi Project provides a step-by-step, end-to-end, tutorial to assist with, and facilitate, the installation of Slackware ARM on the Raspberry Pi using the SARPi images and packages, which are freely available from the Downloads page.
• The SARPi Project provides Slackware ARM packages to upgrade the kernel, kernel modules, and Raspberry Pi boot-firmware, which are freely available from the Downloads page.
• The SARPi Project offers mini-projects which you may find interesting after Slackware ARM has been installed.
• The SARPi Project is a community effort by individuals.
What SARPi isn't ...
• SARPi is not a modification, clone, hack, or port of Slackware ARM. SARPi is just the method by which Slackware ARM is installed on the Raspberry Pi(s), without any modification(s) to the original source.
• SARPi is not an operating system. You do not install 'SARPi'. You do not run 'SARPi'. You install and run Slackware ARM!
• The SARPi Project is not technical support for general Slackware ARM assistance. This includes any rpi-update issue(s). Once Slackware ARM has been installed on the Raspberry Pi, that signals the end of any SARPi involvement. If you require some help with any Slackware ARM issue(s) after it's been installed then please use the Slackware ARM LQ forum.
• The SARPi Project does not offer support on, "How to avoid Slackware issues by following instructions correctly."
• The SARPi Project does not support the Raspberry Pi Zero [W].
• Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer's hard drive by our web server, in order to identify your computer, each time you visit sarpi.fatdog.eu. The information contained in these cookies will not be shared with outside establishments, or individuals, for any reason. If you allow cookies to be used, the following personal information may be collected; username, hostname, IP Address, browser version, session-ID.
• Cookies do not give us access to your computer, or any personal information about you, in any way.
SARPi.FatDog.EU General Use Policy
Use of the sarpi.fatdog.eu website
• If you continue to use this website, including but not limited to any software or content made available, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the following terms and conditions, which govern SARPi.FatDog.EU's relationship with you in relation to this website, including any software or content.
• The failure of SARPi.FatDog.EU to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and SARPi.FatDog.EU and govern your use of this website, including any software or content.
• If you disagree with any part of these terms and conditions please do not use sarpi.fatdog.eu.
SARPi.FatDog.EU Terms & Conditions
General Terms & Conditions
• The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to amendment or change without notice. New features that change the sarpi.fatdog.eu website shall be subject to these terms and conditions. Continued use of this website after any such updates or changes shall constitute your consent to such updates or changes. You can review the terms and conditions any time on this page.
• SARPi.FatDog.EU provides no warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and software found on or offered by this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and software may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
• Your use of any information or software on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which SARPi.FatDog.EU shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any information, or material, which is available through sarpi.fatdog.eu, meets with your specific requirements.
• This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to SARPi.FatDog.EU. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is permitted providing that any copied or quoted content remains intact and unmodified from the original.
• While any sarpi.fatdog.eu updates/upgrades are carried out this website may be in 'maintenance mode'. In that event, the main content of this website will be inaccessible for the duration. Please be patient until the work has been completed.
• All trademarks reproduced on this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to, SARPi.FatDog.EU, are acknowledged herein.
• Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages, and/or be a criminal offence.
• SARPi.FatDog.EU is not liable for any loss incurred for the modification, suspension, or discontinuance, of the sarpi.fatdog.eu website or any content.
Links to external websites
• sarpi.fatdog.eu may publish and include links to external websites. These links are provided for your convenience to offer further information. This does not necessarily imply that SARPi.FatDog.EU endorses any website(s) or any content within them. SARPi.FatDog.EU does not manage, and has no responsibility over, the content of any externally linked websites.
• SARPi.FatDog.EU is fully committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
Any questions about these terms and conditions should be addressed to support.